My Family's Navy Adventure

Welcome to All Hands on Deck: Sailor, Wife and Life.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Left for Great Lakes

He is gone.....for real now.  I am just now able to gather my thoughts to post.  He left Friday.  The hardest thing is that he is going through H-E-double hockey sticks and I can't be there for him.  I knew all of this would happen, it is just different when it is your sailor.  I have been sulking.....and lots of praying.  Today I went to church and it reminded me that God brought him to this, so he will bring him through it.  The sermon was about the boy whom gave his 2 fish and 5 barley loaves.  It was awesome and one section really hit me.  He spoke about the proverb that a 3 strand cord is not easily broken.  You know the one, "Woe to the man whom falls and has no one to pick him up."  This weekend was a great reminder to me that I need people- especially now that Adam is gone.


We were getting ready to say good bye to Adam, again, and we had a lot to do.  We went to a ceremony, parade, and a baseball game.  And I was attempting to coordinate our family with the very little information that the Navy gave me.  Thank God for friends and family.  I needed help.  I broke down at the office (in front of my boss; she is very nice, but I did not want to cry) because I forgot to go to the ATM to get cash- and now I was going to be late.  My office partner and friend gave me 15$.  Thank you Nancy!  I have never been more grateful for 15 bucks.  I did not want to be late when I only had a few hours to see Adam. I had already gotten him in trouble with the drill instructor.  (that is another story)


Our parents, many of the siblings and a few friends were there for Adam's swearing in ceremony.  I was so thankful; they carried bags, babies and took pictures.  My sister dressed Tinyand brought her to meet me.  She looked so sweet.  Kristin, you were my hero this weekend.  Every time I needed something, you were there.  Thanks Sis.  Everyone gave Adam and I space to say goodbye.  Sniff, sniff.  That physically hurt.  I was sure that one of us would pass out.


I don't like asking for help and I don't like relying on others.  When I was a little girl, I used to tell mama, "I don't need you!". But today I had a vision of me laying on the floor, yelling, "I have fallen and I can't get up!"  And I am alone.  In Charleston.  Looking like a pregnant turtle who is flipped over on her shell.  Rocking back and forth.......


So I am making an effort to build strands of support.  Family, friends, church- we are so blessed.  SO many have told me to call when I need them.  The thing about doing everything alone is that you also can't be that cord for others.  I need a team.  I need to put more into those important relationships.  Thank you to everyone's support this week.  The phone calls, facebook messages, hugs meant so much.  We love you.


Please continue to pray for my sailor.  He had blisters on his feet from marching before he even got to Great Lakes.  The mind games have already begin.....I will let you know when we can send letters or when I hear from him.  Prayers for peace please.  These first few weeks are supposed to be the hardest.


See you soon and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment