My Family's Navy Adventure

Welcome to All Hands on Deck: Sailor, Wife and Life.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Leaving it all on the field

I had a very frustrating doctor visit this week.  New navy doc- well, new to me.  I went in for a check up and to have a mole looked at.  I had to bring the kids with me, so we were well stocked with snacks, toys and iPad. They were doing great- one was sleeping, one was eating and one was mesmerized with the iPad. The doctor even commented they were good.  Then she asked how old they were.  You would have thought I had birthed aliens.  She asked why we had our kids "so close together" and "you are done, right?"  She then asked me why I was making it so hard on myself.

I can think of 20 different things I should have said now.  But at the time I just smiled and said we were a busy, but happy family. I will not be visiting her again.  It really bugs me, but not why I thought it would.  I thought that I would be upset because she was questioning our family planning decisions. But that is not that big of a deal, I am coming to her to look at a mole. I don't need her as a life coach.

I strongly believe that children are a blessing from the Lord. I am insanely in love with my babies. And somedays they drive me insane.  No, like really, insane.  Eyes closed, rocking back and forth, insane.  We have good days and not so great days.  And I put them to bed every night at 8:00 and I feel like I have been run over by an 18 wheeler. But this is what I want. I want to work really hard everyday and do the absolute best I can.  And she was completely overlooking all the good parts to having your children close.  I love watching Tiny and Little One grow into best friends. I don't regret it, even though it is physically harder.  Sometimes I literally don't have enough hands.  Did I tell you all three still wear diapers?  Yeah, potty training is not our family's area of expertise. But they also share clothes and do school together.  And share friends.  Lots of hugs and kisses.

So everyday, I leave it all out on the field. And they give back so.  much.  more.  And on days when they are really.....hmmmm, we will say, "challenging", they teach me.  Tiny has taught me to have a gentle voice when my head is screaming.  She only has one volume and it shakes the house. She is a squealer. They teach me to find a way to enjoy a moment (even when that moment is not in my plan of the day).  And they are constantly helping me to be more patient.  I should be really patient by the time they are raised. ;)

So if you see a mom with kids close in age, the only comment that needs to be made is how spectacular she looks wearing that stylish nursing cover as she is nursing while grocery shopping. Please do not explain birth control options, or ask if all children have the same father. (Yes, both those actually have happened). Because my babies are well loved and we are crazy happy.  Crazy.  And happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment